Google
 
Web YOUR DOMAIN NAME
Bet now with totesport - Free £25 bet!

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Ronaldo interview

posted by tiptoe on the Red News forum

From a post on SEF taken from a magazine in porugal christiano ronaldo
31.05.2006

Manchester still haven't managed to overcome Chelsea's superiority. Why?
A - Because Chelsea were more consistent. They performed better than us, so they fully deserved the championship they won. Despite the fact that Manchester finished the season very well.
Q - Can you find a reason why Manchester have gone so long without winning a championship?
A - That's a difficult question to answer. All clubs have good phases and poorer phases, and Manchester is no exception. I hope and I believe that Manchester will achieve stability to be a more consistent team. I hope this happens as soon as possible.
Q - Is there anyone in England able to dethrone Mourinho's Chelsea?
A - Of course. Chelsea aren't an unbeatable team. There's just one difference: consistency. Chelsea manage to keep the same performance level throughout the season, that's why they're champions.
Q - Do you believe you are missing a winner's medal in a big competition?
A - Of course. I hope and I believe that I will win one. Not only one but several and as soon as possible. I hope it's next season.
Q - What does it mean to you to be one of Manchester's biggest players, if not their biggest, while so young?
A - It's very important. It's a sign that people appreciate my work and like me. I believe I'm going to improve even more, win titles and help my club achieve its aims.
Q - Do you still remember the day you got to know the Manchester squad?
A [smiling] - I remember. I was calm. I was just a little nervous because I didn't know how to speak English, so when they spoke to me I didn't know how to answer. Apart from that, it was a special day for me.
Q - Today it's a very different situation.
A [smiling] - It's a bit different. I've been there for three years now; I've learned how to speak a bit more than the basics. I'm adapted now.

Q - Many critics say that you, like a lot of other young Portuguese footballers, left Portugal too early. What do you think?
A - When somebody leaves and things don't work out it's easy to criticise immediately. This is what happened, for example, with Hlder Postiga, Hugo Viana and even Quaresma. Things didn't go badly, but they didn't go as well as they would have hoped for, and the criticism came immediately. Straight away people started saying it was because they had left Portuguese football too young, that they weren't mature and experienced enough, among other things. In my case things went well and people now don't point the finger like they did at them. Age is a relative matter. If things go well, they talk you up; if things go badly, they start criticising. What I believe is that age isn't a factor to take on new challenges.
Q - You have enough quality to play in any position in midfield going forward, but it's still difficult to know what your favourite position is. Where do you most like to play?
A - I play regularly on the left wing and the right wing, but the position I prefer is a free role up front, like a second striker. At Manchester I haven't had the chance to play in this position yet, because there are a lot of players who do a great job there. For Portugal it's different: sometimes I play behind the striker, where things have gone well for me.
Q - You and Rooney have been competing for the best young player for two years. Who is better?A - We're different. Each one has his own characteristics, but we're both good.
Q - More than once you've said that you are going to be considered the best player in the world. When do you think this prediction will come true?
A - In a few years' time. I've still got 12 or 13 years ahead of me and I know that one day this will happen. At least I'm going to work towards this goal. I know I've got value and I'm at a great club and in a great national team, where anything can happen. Through work I hope to achieve this aim one day. I hope it happens as soon as possible.

Q - You were three goals away from winning your bet with Alex Ferguson, which happened for the second time.
A [interrupting] - And it was the second time I lost. That's not easy. Last year we bet that I'd score ten goals, and I scored nine. This year it was 15 and I scored 12.
Q - Will there be a new bet next year?
A - Very likely. [smiling] And he'll certainly raise the bar. He'll probably ask me for around 20 goals and maybe I'll score around 14 or 15. Let's see. But one day I'll win.
Q - And what's behind the bet? Money?
A - It's money. Not much, it's accessible. I'm able to pay.

Q - The press has already reported at least two spats between you and Van Nistelrooy. What really happened?A - Nothing much. Quarrels happen in all teams, in all professions. It's normal to have small disagreements. That's what happened, something perfectly normal. People are turning it into a storm in a teacup. I repeat that what happened wasn't anything special, and he's actually someone I get on particularly well with.
Q - How do you deal with the pressure from the English tabloids?A - Calmly. Nobody likes being rubbished or having your private life intruded, but with time you gain experience and realise worrying too much about this won't get you anywhere. So what you have to do is ignore it and carry on with your life and your work. That's exactly what I do.

Q - What was the worst moment of your career?
A - I've had a few, but perhaps the worst was when I lost the Euro 2004 final.
Q - And the best?
A - It was getting to the final of Euro 2004. On the one hand it was sad, but on the other it was also good, because it was a unique experience in my life. Playing in a final of that magnitude, knowing that all eyes were on our team... It was exciting, important, but also sad because of the outcome.
Q - What do you do away from football in England?
A - I try to spend my days calmly, doing what gives me pleasure: going on outings, being with my family, going to the cinema, shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home